Saturday, October 17, 2009

Sketching and The Art of Sneaky Life Drawing





Lately I've taken to carrying around my drawing pad again and have been drawing every chance I get. Generally I get at least one out a day, so I thought I'd start this blog to update them, and possibly keep me doing this.

A couple weeks ago, a woman approached me about drawing a comic book with her, which I'm really excited about. To get into the vibe, I started drawing all the people I see around me and sketching more from my ha, attempting to keep it simple. With my numberism drawings, I get very technical, so I sort of had to re-acclimate myself to the technique.





I ride on the Portland Street car all the time, and have not a lot to do in between stops, so I've started drawing the people on the bus to pass the time. It's amazing how many kinds of facial shapes and body types you see on the streetcar. A lot of these people, I never would have just come up with from my mind, so this has been really helpful. However, when I do this, I tend to miss my stop.

I don't think everyone likes the idea of me drawing them while they're dragging themselves back home after a long day at work and vegging out on the train... so I've gotten sneaky.... I draw their reflections on windows.



As far as they're concerned, I'm drawing what's outside, and they're never the wiser. One man noticed me drawing and kept looking from me to the window. "What the hell is she drawing? She keeps looking at the same spot out the window, but we're in a moving vehicle!" I could almost hear him say. He was very animated. Anyway, I'm simply loving this, catching people in their comfortable day to day routine... as long as they'll stay still long enough for me to draw them.


These are just quick snap shots with my camera, so they're not really that great. I will take better pictures from here on out. After this post, I will be uploading daily. This is a backlog from the last week or so. I will be uploading these to my new Flickr site too at Flickr.com/photos/roguesketc












No comments:

Post a Comment